Doctor Who Scarf--Meter O' Progress

Thursday, January 14, 2010

Things I Can Control

Let me just put this out there:

I think the universe basically sucks. There it is. My "the-glass-is-half-empty" philosophy in a nutshell. Now, I'm not saying my little corner of the universe sucks. Usually--despite my incessant whining--it's a pretty nice place to be. From a more holistic perspective though, we live a fairly horrid existence.

I base this supposition on events in the course of history and events taking place now that make life for humans (who, incidentally, never asked to be born) hell. Cataclysmic disaster, Ongoing War, Disease, Famine, Poverty, Abuse, Systematic Disenfranchisement, Human Rights Horrors, Genocide, Crimes Against the Innocent, Behemoth Greed (seriously, I could go on forever).

The above mentioned, incidentally, are the basis for my belief that hell does not exist but is--rather--created by us. That, however, is a whole other blog post for a different day.

So, in order to not feel completely powerless and puny in a harsh world, I donate to causes that--I fervently hope--are making a difference and bringing some modicum of peace to others. Perhaps you already donate time and money to causes you feel strongly about? If so, that's great.

Maybe you'd like to but don't know where to start?
Heifer International
Oxfam
United Way
Project Linus
Doctors Without Borders
Feeding America
Save the Children
Habitat for Humanity

There are, literally, thousands of charities around the world whose mission is to make life a little less cruel, a little less difficult. Consider doing something to help someone you've never met.

1 comment:

Rainy Daisy said...

amen. What is that quote about "be nice to everyone you meet, for you know not what burden they carry?"

..something like that.

Cheers!
Daisy